Here's another one of the lovely Nynke's lovely Thai food. I know To Thai For is a really old joke, but I still really love it! And this really is To... Seeing as I was (trying to) make a joke, I looked up Thai jokes on google and allow me to assure you, I ain't printing any of them. The "best" I could find that was still printable was: How to make a Thai laugh - try speaking their language. Well that person has not heard me speaking French as they would be laughing all their way a la maison!
SAUTEED PORK WITH GREEN BEANS IN RED CURRY SAUCE
(Phat prik king)
200g pork, sliced
150g green beans, cut in half
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp red curry paste, see NOTE below
½ tbsp sugar, preferably palm sugar
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 Kaffir lime leaves, very thinly sliced (leave out if you don’t have any) (don't leave out and see Nynke's comments NB!!)
1 chilli, very thinly sliced (optional)
1. Marinade the pork in 1tsp of the fish sauce for 30minutes to 2 hours.
2. Boil the green beans till just done, about 5-8minutes.
3. Heat the oil in a wok and then fry the pork till done, about 5minutes. Remove from the wok and set aside.
4. Add the curry paste to the wok and fry for about a minute till fragrant. Add the sugar, rest of the fish sauce, ½ the lime leaves and the pork and green beans and stir-fry to heat through.
5. When done, place on a serving platter and scatter with the leftover lime leaf and chilli if using.
NOTE: Red chilli paste is, strangely enough, milder than green chilli paste, but it can still be VERY hot depending on the brand you use, so please be careful. You can add more, but it is very difficult to take away the heat if you use too much.
(Recipe adapted from Gap's: Thai culinary art school)