I haven't posted a recipe, or um, anything really for a while, so I have finally kicked myself into action and written down this super Vegetarian Recipe. We had the lovely Heloise staying with us for a week (a French student who is learning English) and she is mostly vegetarian, so I came up with this deelicious lasagne. Now don't you go turning up your nose, this is REALLY good. Even people who wouldn't normally eat this type of thing thought it was great so pull yourself together!
I found quite a few veggie lasagne recipes around and modified, added, adapted, adjusted, fiddled...okay, you get it, came up with this one. You can change the vegetables according to taste and season. I did one with loads of leeks and a bit of broccoli and that was really good too. (That's what I used in the photo). I use a huge jar of mixed mushrooms which we really like (I am really going to have to find a word to replace really as it is becoming really annoying), but you can use any type you like. If you don't like mushrooms, add more vegetables.
I use the lasagne sheets that need no pre-cooking which makes the whole process really (stop that Crystal) quick and easy. If yours need cooking, then boil till al dente and continue as per my recipe.
(Serves 8-10 easily)
2 tbsp oil
2 onions, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced (opt.)
4 courgettes OR 1 marrow (zucchini / summer squash)
1 bunch Swiss chard, stems and leaves, chopped OR spinach
1-2 tins mushrooms
½ tsp Herb de Provence (mixed herbs, incl. rosemary,
Salt and pepper
3 cups / 750ml fromage blanc / quark / cottage cheese
3 tbsp crème fraiche / cream / sour cream (opt.)
Salt, pepper, paprika, maggi(opt:)
¼ cup fresh OR 1 tbsp dried parsley OR chives
1 cup (or more) grated cheese, Cheddar or Emmental
3 tbsp Parmesan (opt.)
3 cups / 750ml tomato coulis / sauce
16 sheets lasagne (or more)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 375°F. I use a large baking dish which is 34x24x7cm.
2. Vegetable layer: Saute the onions in the oil till softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, courgettes and chard and cook till they are softened, about 5 minutes more. Add the mushrooms and Herb de Provence to heat through. Season to taste.
3. Cheese layer: Mix the fromage blanc, cream if using, eggs, spices and herbs.
4. ASSEMBLY: ¾ cup of tomato coulis (so ¼ of the total sauce)
4 sheets of lasagne
1/3 of the vegetables
1/3 of the cheese sauce
5. Repeat this 2 times. Then for the last layer change the order to:
4 sheets lasagne
¾ cup tomato coulis
6. This may seem complicated, but it is very easy actually! I often prepare it up to here and put it in the fridge overnight. Bring it back to room temperature before baking or increase the baking time.
7. Bake at 180°C / 375°C for 40 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.